The ongoing tales of my San Francisco adventure

8.19.2005

An Embarrassment of Riches

This could get ugly. Don't say I didn't warn you.

For those of you just tuning in, I've been tagged by Chad Fox of Stop Touching My Food to list 10 songs that I'm currently listening to and enjoying. Hopefully I don't lose *too many* friends from this sooth saying.

The instructions were: list ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to (which will be delayed until I can find 5 other bloggers to tag).

Since I was mugged earlier this year and lost my new iPod to a filthy thief (*growl*), I took a look at my iTunes playlists to see what I've been dragging over to the sidebar this week and listening to a lot. Those of you with small children might want to cover their eyes.

In no particular order:

Absolutely Zero - Jason Mraz
Just saw him live and had a blast. He's a fun personality on stage and a great musician.




Rodeo by Aaron Copeland - MTT and the San Francisco Symphony
Huge Aaron Copeland fan, both his symphonic stuff and vocal works. Everyone has heard Rodeo. Yes, even you.




Music is Magic - JEM and the Holograms
Okay I admit it. When I was a kid, my sisters watched this cartoon and I loved it too. I don't remember how I stumbled upon JEM and her Holograms again, but I've discovered a strange underground following for this blast from the past. The music: absolutely awful, but oddly appealing in a perverse kind of way.

Untitled 4 - Sigur Rós
Great stuff. Mello. Nice.





Wickeder - Forbidden Broadway
I've never seen Forbidden Broadway's show in NYC, but I've heard that it's hysterical... seems to be a kind of Beach Blanket Babylon except they lampoon Broadway Musicals and their stars. If you love musical theatre (or love to hate it) this is a good time. They go after the stars of Wicked in this one, I've listened to it at least 23 times and it's still funny.


Ne Me Quitte Pas - Ute Lemper
Ute Lemper is one of the most talented singers today. Love her like my luggage.




The Conductor - The Faint
A friend turned me on to The Faint, saw them perform and I like 'em. I do.





Don't Cry Outloud - Melissa Manchester
For all that I know, poor Melissa Manchester has a gazillion and 57 fans and a successful career. To me, she will always be the lady who sang Don't Cry Outloud. My mom had this album when I was a kid and that's my only memory of it. I was reminded of the song recently, and I happy to find it waiting for me on iTunes. Thankfully, she has tamed that mane of hers. Go get 'em Melissa.


Eskimo - Damien Rice
My dear friend Kerry introduced me to Damien Rice and although the stuff can be a bit of a downer, I still enjoy it. He even worked a little classical opera soundy lady in there. Yes, I said, "soundy."




Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
Truth. Time for truth. I don't own this Wheatus album. In fact, I couldn't name another song by Wheatus. My track comes from a compilation CD. A Dawson's Creek compilation CD. I know, I know, how could I? What was I thinking? I didn't know you were *that* gay. Although I could try to explain myself with a story of a recording session in LA that I was working on for a TV commercial, and trying to quell my boss's fears and using this CD as a tool to explain our creative direction, I won't. Because the fact remains that after the recording session was completed and the spot in the can, I still kept the CD. There you have it. I'm so ashamed.


Say what you will. I can take it. ; )